Music

Monday, July 7, 2014

Let me be Ray for a day




Ray LaMontagne is one of my favorite artists, hands down.  I love his music, his style, and his fuck you attitude towards making music that is destined for the Top 40 charts.  He does what he wants, never taking into account what the music company likes or what will get regular airplay on the radio.  Being true to oneself is quite a noble quality these days and LaMontagne did it his way without compromising. 

His shows are comparatively plain- no special effects, no video, no hype.  The only real variation is the fact there are four or five different colored spotlights under which the band plays.  His attire fits the theme also, with a t-shirt, flannel and jeans the limit of his wardrobe.

Popular songs rely on a hook to catch a listener.  Something that sticks in their head and makes them want to hear it over and over.  While I cannot deny the attraction of a good hook, I love lyrics that hit me just as much.    Something that can be interpreted in different ways yet holds some kind of common understanding.





'Ojai' is my favorite song off his new album.  The hook is there, and the lyrics are cryptic enough to allow me to attach meaning to them.   LaMontagne has an interesting back story, growing up so poor that a meal that included meat signified a special occasion in his family.  The guy has demons and they come out in many songs.  Ojai is a city in California, but I can guarantee it is also a metaphor for someone or something close to him.  It is doubtful though that the hermit like artist will ever reveal it in an interview.   All the best, it works better to form your own meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment